The Council of Legal Education is established under the Legal Education Act, No. 27 of 2012 of the Laws of Kenya. The core functions of the Council of Legal Education are to regulate Legal Education and training, to license and supervise Legal Education providers, conduct the Bar Examination, recognize and approve qualification in Law obtained outside Kenya and advise the Government on matters relating to Legal Education and training.
To deliver its functions, the Council wishes to recruit full-time high-caliber staff to the position of SECRETARY/CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER (CEO).
1. Be the Administrative head and Accounting Officer of Council, who will manage and plan for the efficient use of Council resources;
2. Administer the day-to-day operations of the Council;
3. Develop and recommend to the Council the annual business plans for the Institution;
4. Ensure that the Institution has an effective management structure, including succession plans;
5. Ensure that Board papers are accurately written, are relevant and availed to the Council members in good time.
6. Serve as a link between the Council and the management;
7. Provide leadership to senior management and staff;
8. Take responsibility for the implementation of the Council’s decisions in an effective, efficient, result oriented and timely manner;
9. Be responsible for the achievement of the objectives of the Institution;
10. Maintain effective and good order of the Council and ensure compliance of Statutes and Regulations;
11. Put in place adequate administrative structures, processes and systems;
12. Provide regular, thorough and prompt communication to the Council on key technical, financial and administrative matters;
13. Comply with financial reporting requirements;
14. Prepare budgets and establish proper internal controls;
15. Manage Councils’ risk profile;
16. Ensure the development and efficient management of the Human Resources;
17. Foster local and international partnerships with institutions of higher learning, research and other agencies;
18. Mobilize financial and other resources;
19. Be responsible for stakeholder management and enhancement of the corporate image of the Institution; and
20. Perform other duties as the Council may, from time to time, assign.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, detailed key tasks will be agreed upon between the successful candidate and the Council.
Knowledge and Skills requirements
1. Ability to portray and uphold a positive national image and work in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity to and respect for diversity.
2. A visionary and result-oriented thinker.
3. Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication skills.
4. Capacity to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
5. Firm, fair and transparent management style.
For the appointment to the position of the Secretary / Chief Executive Officer, a person must fulfill the following requirements:
1. Be a holder of Bachelor’s degree in Law from a recognized institution;
2. Be a holder of Master’s Degree in Law from a recognized university;
3. A Ph.D. in Law from a recognized university will be an added advantage;
4. Have at least fifteen (15) years relevant work experience in an academic institution or practice of Law and has served in a position of senior management for at least ten (10) years;
5. Is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya;
6. Have knowledge and experience in policy formulation, management and procedures of Government;
7. Have knowledge in, or has actively contributed to the promotion of Legal Education and Training in Kenya;
8. Demonstrates experience in leadership and professional competence;
9. Must be a Kenyan citizen;
10. Be of the highest ethical standards, integrity and professionalism;
11. Fulfills the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
The Secretary / Chief Executive Officer shall report to the Council and hold the office for a term of three (3) years. The CEO shall be eligible for one further term of three (3) years subject to satisfactory performance.
The term shall terminate upon the expiry of the contract or attainment of the statutory age of 60 years, whichever comes first.
440,000 x 31,680 - 471,680 x 31,680 - 503,360 x 31,680 - 535,040 x 31,680 - 566,720 x 31,680 - 598,400 per month
House Allowance: Kshs.80, 000
All applicants MUST be of the highest ethical standards, integrity and professionalism and comply with the requirements of Chapter six (6) of the Constitution of Kenya. Shortlisted candidates will be required to present evidence of clearance by the following institutions:
1. Kenya Revenue Authority (Tax Compliance Certificate)
2. Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
3. Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
4. Criminal Investigation Department (Police Clearance Certificate)
5. Certificate of Good Standing from the Law Society of Kenya (LSK).
The Council will seek clearance by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC) in line with the Commission’s Circular dated 9th April 2020.
How to Apply
Interested and eligible candidates are urged to access the Mandatory CLE Employment Application Form as well as detailed job descriptions and specifications available on the CLE website; www.cle.or.ke under careers and click on the link https://cle.or.ke/careers/
Download the CLE Employment application form here
Interested and qualified candidates should send an electronic version in PDF format of the applications to email@example.com, attaching filled employment application form, detailed Curriculum Vitae, academic and professional certificates, transcripts, any other supporting documents and testimonials.
Further, hand delivery applications should be dropped at the Council of Legal Education Office, Karen Office Park, Acacia Block, 2nd Floor. The envelope should be sealed and marked “CONFIDENTIAL” and indicate the “JOB REFERENCE NUMBER” of the position.
The applications should reach the undersigned not later than Monday, 19th July 2021, at 5.00 pm (East African Time).
Council of Legal Education
P.O. Box 829 - 00502
Please note that: -
Due to the high number of applications anticipated, it will not be possible for the Council of Legal Education to respond to each application. Only shortlisted candidates and those cleared by the EACC pursuant to their Public Notice dated 9th April 2020 shall be contacted for interviews.
Canvassing in any form and giving false information will lead to automatic disqualification.
The Council of Legal Education is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified Women and Persons Living with Disabilities and persons from marginalized communities are encouraged to apply. Those who had applied previously need not to apply for the position.