Legal Job: Legal Officer, Deloitte Consulting
- Nairobi School Rd, Nairobi, Kenya
- Closing date: 19 February 2021
Deloitte is a leading provider of world-class professional services dedicated to providing value added solutions to our clients. We take pride in our reputation for providing a globally consistent quality service, an integrated approach and world-class expertise. Deloitte is renowned for its innovative and collaborative culture, where talented people work closely with like-minded individuals to achieve collective success.
Deloitte East Africa provides seamless cross-border services to multinationals, large national enterprises, small and medium sized enterprises and the public sector, across three (3) countries in the region: Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania.
A career with Deloitte offers you the opportunity to engage with and work alongside leading corporations within the East African region, and an opportunity to start and grow your career within a dynamic and rewarding environment. You will get the support, coaching and training needed to advance your career in Kenya and within the East Africa market.
What impact will you make?
Every day, your work will make an impact that matters, while you thrive in a dynamic culture of inclusion, collaboration and high performance. As the undisputed leader in professional services, Deloitte is where you'll find unrivaled opportunities to succeed and realize your full potential.
Main Purpose of Job
We are seeking to recruit a Legal Officer in our Internal Client Services department – Risk Independence & Legal in East Africa. The holder of this position will be responsible for providing legal support and advisory in execution of goals and strategy of the legal team.
- Monitor changes in laws, regulations and related policies in Deloitte East Africa.
- Manage the regulatory framework and ensure legislative compliance in Deloitte East Africa including legal risks identification and mitigation.
- Management of litigation and regulatory investigations.
- Draft and review legal agreements including attending contract negotiation meetings, ensure all contracts accurately reflect negotiated terms and are maintained in the contracting system from start to end.
- Undertake quality legal research, draft legal opinions and respond to legal enquiries from different member firms within the Deloitte network.
- Assist in all Company Secretarial related services to Deloitte Member Firms in East Africa (DEA Member Firms) which includes maintaining the DEA Member firms legal structure, filings notifications at the Registrar of Companies, maintaining statutory books of the DEA Member Firms, drafting resolutions as may be required from time to time and updating the governance documents of the DEA Member Firms.
- Attending to correspondence and management of relationships with external legal counsels and any applicable regulatory bodies.
- Implement global and regional policies on confidentiality and financial crimes.
- Championing anti-corruption and anti-money laundering initiatives.
- Bachelor's degree in Law from a reputable university.
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- At least four years' experience in the provision of legal services in a reputable law firm or the legal department of an international or leading organization.
- Strong technical legal and commercial skills including experience in contracting, commercial law and financial crimes law.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work with others and manage multiple time sensitive matters in a demanding organization.
- Ability to take initiative, analyze issues and generate potential solutions.
- Experience in the provision of company secretarial services.
- Goal oriented – seek to understand the mission of Deloitte and contribute towards its attainment.
- Strong communication skills (oral and written).
- Strong presentation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Effective negotiation and facilitation skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications including Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel.
Key performance areas
- Make a strategic impact to the firm through independently assisting the team to deliver services within defined strategic objectives.
- Has effective working relationships within client business to better understand their requirements.
- Operational effectiveness by providing the team with detailed reporting on status of deliverables on a regular basis.
- Understands context of own delivery against timelines.
- Actively work to address identified development areas.
Leadership / Behavioural Capabilities
- Living our Purpose – Identifies and embraces our values and puts these into practice in their professional lives.
- Influence – Builds relationships and communicates effectively in order to positively influence peers and other stakeholders.
- Performance drive – Seek opportunities to drive self, teams with others to deliver and takes accountability for own and team results.
- Strategic direction – Understands key objectives for clients and Deloitte, aligns own work to objectives and sets personal priorities.
- Talent development – Develops self by actively seeking opportunities for growth, shares knowledge and experiences with others and acts as a strong brand ambassador.
How you'll grow
At Deloitte, our professional development plan focuses on helping people at every level of their career to identify and use their strengths to do their best work every day. From entry-level employees to senior leaders, we believe there's always room to learn. We offer opportunities to help build world-class skills in addition to hands-on experience in the global, fast-changing business world. From on-the-job learning experiences to formal development programs, our professionals have a variety of opportunities to continue to grow throughout their career.
Deloitte is led by a purpose: to make an impact that matters. Every day, Deloitte people are making a real impact in the places they live and work. We pride ourselves on doing not only what is good for clients, but also what is good for our people and the communities in which we live and work—always striving to be an organization that is held up as a role model of quality, integrity, and positive change. Learn more about Deloitte's impact on the world. https://www2.deloitte.com/global/en/pages/about-deloitte/articles/impact-that-matters.html
To the successful candidates, the Firm will offer a competitive and performance driven remuneration package, a highly energized team environment comprising individuals who are committed to working as one, producing results and enjoying it.
If you meet the above requirements, please visit our website and apply online: www.deloitte.com/ke
Closing date: 19 February 2021
We are an equal opportunity employer and do not ask individuals to pay any fees or money as part of the recruitment process.